By: Jill Clapp
Hillary McBride, the assistant in the Digital Academy, has been helping protect the children of Liberty Center since 2012 as the fantastic crossing guard. Here are a few questions we asked Hillary to see into her life as the number one crossing guard:
What is your favorite part about being the crossing guard?
- ¨Kids tell me some sick stories, man. Like the time when one kid who told me he built his scooter by himself… He even welded it.¨
What year did you start as the crossing guard?
- ¨I’ve been working the corner since 2012.¨
What’s your least favorite part about being the crossing guard?
- ¨When the streets of LC flood.¨
- ¨When people almost hit me because either A.) they’re texting, B.) they don’t defrost their windshields, or C.) they’re shocked by my beauty.¨
Have you ever been hit?
- ¨No but I remember all close calls. So, if you’re reading this, and you almost hit me, I remember you. Don’t let it happen again.¨
Who’s your favorite X-Guard substitute?
- ¨Definitely my homedawg Mr. Green because he’s always there to help a sister out.¨
When did you know you wanted to be a crossing guard?
- ¨Well, when I applied for the job in the D.A (digital academy), Mr. Rentschler said he needed a brave and courageous individual to save children’s lives every day and I was like, ´That’s a job for me.´¨
What do you do when you’re not being an LC hero?
- ¨I like long walks on the beach, buying all things neon, being Mr. Black’s favorite employee, and being the LCHS staff’s Queen Socialite.¨
Is there anything else the world should know about you?
- I have my own LC X-Guard twitter (follow @number1xguard or search her at I ❤ Neon) It’s pretty ´lit.´ And be careful what you are for Halloween. I went as a crossing guard once while in college.¨